January 16, 2013

Uh... Wow. No... DOUBLE WOW.

NOT to be confused with the SHAM-WOW!  Which The Dad has wanted to buy any time he's seen it advertised on TV.  <sigh>

Here it is.  I went to Oz today to work out.  I told myself to look at the club without my negativity regarding the old machines and take in the people, the faces we've seen there for over 12 years, the improvements that were made 5 years ago...  and come home and see if I felt different than I have for a while now.

I wasn't able to use the machine I wanted to use and the TV in front of me was not on - and while I could have gone and asked for a remote to turn it on, I just wanted to get my day going.

I got home and showered post haste.  I made my mind up while on the machines today that I WAS going to go to the competitor behind Oz - TO. DAY.  Today was the day.  I cleaned up, played a few games of cribbage with The Wizard through our iphones and left to get it going.  

To be honest, I was a skoche nervous walking into the "other" club.  But when I did... I noticed every single treadmill with it's own TV on it.  I noticed the elliptical machines with ipod chargers built into all of them.  I noticed space and light and NO leaking ceiling spots.  I was given a tour, shown the class schedule and equipment and honestly, there was NO question.  No hesitation in telling them that I was "trading" clubs and not only that, so was my husband.

Ooooohhhhh.....   <cringe>.  Yep.  Did it.  It is $19.00 per month for me and $15 for The Dad.  That... if you need help with the math is $34.  Thirty-four dollars. We are currently paying $50.24 per month at Oz.  (Oh and I remembered what it was after STA-Fit.  It was 24 Hour Fitness).  So I figured that - if I cancelled ME off of the Oz membership that with the new $34 - that The Dad alone would have to be something like $25 or $27, right?  So his Oz (racquetball) membership with OUR, Golds' membership would put us near to what we are already paying.  Right?!?!?  One would think.

So I got our new membership cards, paid the (pause... watching 5 deer walk through my front yard right now.  Please hold.  Aweeee... babies.)  Okay.  Where was I?  Right.  Got the new membership cards, had my picture taken and away I went!  Off to GNC to get Blue Eyes some Muscle Milk, replenish my Black Cohosh that HASN'T been working as of late and then to Rosauers for healthy stuff.  On the way home I stopped at Oz and said I needed to cancel my part of the membership to young Brad who was happy to help me.  He saw I was wearing my EWU fleece, asked if I GO there (sweet boy) and then told me if I was the original account holder The Dad's membership would also be cancelled.  I told him we'd been members so long that I didn't remember - and as luck would have it - we've been members so long that we shared some *key* identification number that allowed him to cancel me and leave The Dads membership in tact.  

Remember - we pay $50+ a month.  It used to be $106, then $89, then $63... but one by one, we've taken the boys off.  He asks me "So why are you deciding to leave us?  Sick of working out? Doing something else?" I answered young Brad.  "To be honest, I'm tired of seeing "Out of Order" signs on the machines when I come in."  He says:  "Well... THAT was honest."  

What did he expect me to say?  Yes, I'm currently going to be working on my "Get Fat Fast" scheme?  

Anyhow - I ask him what Jeff's monthly cost will be for his continued membership.  Wanna guess?  Not $25.  Not $27.  Not $32.95 or even $34.95.  No...  his monthly dues will be $16.87.  

Sixteen.  Eighty-seven....  SIXTEEN... So there's a part of me wondering how it is MY part of that or one of our part of this membership is/was $33+.  The difference at Golds is $4 between account holder and additional members.  The difference at Oz Fitness is $33?  

Yes - they have a pool - WE DON'T USE.  Yes - they have a gym - WE DON'T USE.  Yes - they have racquetball courts...  which The Dad uses on Saturdays only.  So...  Did we come out on top?  AB-SO-FRICKIN-LUTELY!

Uh, if you're moving to The Can and looking for a fitness club on the south hill - Go Golds! No question.  




No comments:

Post a Comment