December 9, 2012

A Tale of Two Tailgates

I might have been able to throw myself at the fireball and cider again this weekend if I hadn't promised all of the boyz that I would NOT do that to them again - last Thursday night when we took them out for pizza for #7's birthday.  

While they all appeared to be entertained by my "performance" the week before, and while I remember thoroughly having a FANTASTIC time... There were some things (like the game) that I don't really recollect all that much about.  I could blame it on the fact that I didn't eat at all that day... and that's part of it, to be sure.  But, as you'll see down below - I found out that I wasn't the only that didn't remember - but still felt fine the next day (mostly).  As Shane said "Fireball is a sneaky bitch." and apparently has mind erasing powers, while still allowing you to feel mostly like you're just having a really great time.

It was FRRRREEEEEZING out there this weekend.  We brought the same 3 gallons of cider we'd brought the week before and a gallon and a fifth of fireball... which ended up being THE ONLY fireball brought this weekend.  So... we were pretty much out of fireball, what with 30+ people partaking in Tailgate Spot 41 before the game started.  Not because our guests were whooping it up - but because some guests of our guests of their guests were all stopping by and helping themselves.  So... this presented a bit of a problem for me.  If I know you, invite you - then I've "prepped" for you.  So as it was - we had to have our soon to be nephew stop after work to pick up another bottle to squeak us by.  

On top of that - I made white bean chili for pre game and halftime - and tacos for the players for after.  Near as soon as we pulled out the taco fixins and warmed up the 4 pounds of meat, were there people I didn't know, going through the line - which was ok.  But a few guys got held up in the locker room after the game and by the time they got up there - the tacos were gone.  THIS, I was not okay with.  I felt awful.

This is the bigger part of why we do this!

My intention is not to have my guests feed these boys - so that's why I make two meals.  But if you are a guest and you invite others to join us - GREAT.  BUT... this is what then becomes the expectation -  you do that, you make sure your guests bring something to the table.  I plan for my group and can't afford to feed others that don't even bother to look us in the eyes or say "hello", "thank you", or "holy shnikeys this is great".  If you can't do that, you can't be in my tents with walls - that have fire pits and heat blowers, food, fun, music, games and on and on.  

So I could have let myself get wrapped up in the fun that is fireball again - but instead I was busy policing random people standing over by our trailer with the coolers on it, Jeff was making sure the fireball went only to our invited guests (& yet, still some asked for a dash here and there) and occasionally we would warm our hands by the heaters.  Never for very long though.

This weekend - we will have as large of a group as we had before and we are thrilled to have them.  Everyone is aware of the newly implemented rules and have been very receptive and understanding.  I think the final straw was seeing two people show up this weekend, that had happened upon us the weekend prior and knew some of our invited guests.  But while THOSE previously invited guests were not here this weekend, their acquaintances still welcomed themselves into our tents, our heat, our food, our spirits and they brought their friends.  Neither of them spoke to The Dad or I and as soon as the last of the fireball that N brought was gone - so were they.  Not cool.  So.  Not.  Cool.

We certainly didn't want it to get to this - but when we are trying to do good, invite fun, plan these "events" and others just mooch - worse yet, these were ADULTS... we have no choice.

I've got one last hurrah... one last time to make a great "event" - great for our guests, #7 and the other players that have just played 60 minutes of smash mouth football in the freezing cold and look forward to this warm meal and music and family and friends.  And stuff.  



My performance... but also, The Dad would like you to listen to the tent noises in the background.


3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you have to deal with such rude people who think they are entitled to just help themselves. Just wrong.

    The video...not wrong. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Kathleen! You guys go above and beyond weekend after weekend to create the perfect tailgate experience for your friends and family!! It is shameful that people (Adults) come in and just take from you and the PLAYERS that look forward to your post-game tailgate fun!

    We look forward to this weekend and will be most happy to monitor, check ID and kick those shameful people OUT! :>

    Love the video... Snort!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed !!!!!

    Seriously, if two recently graduated, part time working twenty year olds and a grad school student can bring something to the the tailgate so should Rando adults with above minimum wage/salary paying jobs! Yeesh!!!

    We love the fantastic, fabulous, and always rockin tailgate you and Uncle Jeff put on for all of us every weekend! We love being apart of it and we are always here to support family! Love love love you! See you this weekend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete