December 1, 2012

Game Day - Playoffs Begin

I was literally IN BED last night at 7 pm.  After work, I met The Dad at the store to shop for fixin's for todays tailgate.  As we were walking to our cars - I asked him if we should just go across the street to Famous Ed's for a slice of pizza and then head home, he was game.  And so it was...

When we got home, the one glass of wine I'd had, the margarita pizza had completely absorbed - and allowed me to not feel my nagging back pain.  I think with the recent 6 pound weight loss and no lunch - my tolerance isn't what it used to be.  Thus, there was NO WAY I was prepping taco soup for 30, jalapeno poppers, cupcakes and all of the accoutrements that go with it all, last night when we got home - which was the original plan.

So up and at 'em at 5:18 this morning - laundry started, a few games of YAHTZEE with The Dad on his ipad and then it was time to get started.  

I sit here now - The Dad with the trailer loaded and on his way to get Wayne... then out to set up the tailgate.  We've grown from one tent and one tailgate game, to two tents - WITH walls, two tailgate games, two BBQ's (necessary when the weather gets colder), two tables, two heating elements... we fill it with two nieces, two speakers, two ladles, two cast iron pots, two hot pads, two pans of cupcakes, too many cases of beer, two too many coolers in the trailer and never... ever... too many friends.

I'm feeling melancholy as I write this today because today could be our sons last football game.  I don't think it will be - but each one now, for the next 5 weeks, could be the last one.  With his broken collarbone, this little boy, born almost 23 years ago to the day, has become a man.  He's matured in the last 4 months, last year perhaps, right in front of my eyes and it makes my heart swell.  This... young man... one of the worlds fiercest competitors has faced adversity with his injury this year and still, the mama bear wants to fix it.  We expect our kids to outgrow certain things in life - but there doesn't seem to be a way to outgrow wanting to make things better for our kids.  So it hurts to sit here today knowing there's nothing I can do to take away any pain or frustrations he had this fall.  

I need to get up, vacuum the stairs, pick up the stuff off of the table and place it in equally as nice of piles in the office and get cleaned up and head to Cheney...  But I'm dragging my feet now to do so.  I'm not ready for today.  I'm not ready for the end of this football season, be it today or in 5 weeks in Frisco, Texas.  I want him to play the game he loves for as long as he wants to play...  

Ready?  Set?  Hike Hike!!!

#GoEags #BeatWagner #7

1 comment:

  1. Here's to an amazing next five weeks! Enjoy!
    Love and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete