May 1, 2013

The Grass is Greener...

When I mow the lawn.

The Dad has memories of his lawn as a kid at his parents home and how short his dad mowed the lawn.  So The Dad wants OUR lawn to be cut like that.  But - we don't have a great yard.  The previous owners didn't put much into their landscaping.  They put much time or she did, into her garden (which we quickly got rid of from our back yard) - but it's wildly apparent when you walk across our front our back yard that grass seed was tossed down onto rocky dirt.  No sand, no smoothing prior to laying sod.  It CAN look rather decent when we spend oodles of moo-lah to have Senske come in and spray it, treat it and then leave their little flag in our yard.  But thus far this year we haven't done that - but need to.  Desperately.

So in the meantime, The Dad has gone out and mowed twice this year.  And he's mowed it short enough that when it doesn't precipitate and the sun shines just a skoche - the grass looks dead.  Brown.  Not entirely to WOTY's liking.  At all.  I should say though, it's green wherever Jack, Dan & Boone relieve themselves.  So there's that.  I'm just not sure how I can get them to pee where the lawn NEEDS them to pee.

So we argue about it - and like Wack, Blue Eyes, Kelly the lawnmower service guy, Jim E have said before - the "longer" grass holds the moisture better.  Somehow - though a plethora of people have STATED as much to him, The Dad forgets this.  Actually, I think he chooses to forget this because he so loves the short grass.  The look of a fairway on the golf course.  

Ya.  A DEAD fairway.

So today - I mowed.  There was no threat of snow today (which there can be in May and June in The Can) and I awoke with a bit of a headache so thought bouncing around at the gym wasn't in my best interests.  But then, come to find out - the smell of gas, exhaust and pushing that machine for an hour up and down the yard weren't the best for it either.  I raised the blade up a skoche and mowed - my favorite summer chore.  

I think The Dad doesn't like it that I mow for two reasons:  1) He thinks I don't cut it short enough, and 2) He doesn't like it when I tell people that I mow the backyard.  

Reason #78 why I'm not looking for a new job until after the summer months are over.  






No comments:

Post a Comment