April 16, 2013

In The Middle Of Our Street...

Friends of ours recently moved from their home of 20 years to a house "just around the bend".  The deal was on, and off, and on... then off again...  and then, finally on.  But all the while - she was going through drawers and boxes and closets and so on.  Often times dropping things in my mailbox.  

And I got the itch.  

Not to move.  But I'm here.  I'm home.  It's been 12 years in this house and during those 12 years I've worked full time, gone through a major remodel, kids have gone to college... and come back bringing more stuff than they've gone with... and then they leave the next year and don't take it all - and so on, so forth.

I started with ONE of the big closets downstairs.  Pulling 3 Xbox - boxes (empty) out, two old computer towers, easter grass by the pound (and it weighs NOTHING, right?), baby blankets, holiday decorations I NEVER put up.  I reorganized, washed the baby blankets and brought them up where the rest of the blankets are and thus started my  "This House Needs Reorganizing, In The Worst Way Possible" project.

I put together files each year to put all of our bill stubs with my notes of when paid, how much, confirmation numbers.  Those are housed in my desk all year long.  At the end of the year... well... they've found some pretty great spots in my house due to lack of space.  Well, there's space - but as the years have gone by, every party we would throw would find me shoving whatever was out in sight into whatever space I could hide it.  Thus, loss of organization.  I found 2005-2007 in my bedroom closet with 2011 - where shoes should be.  I found 2008-2009 in a basement closet with the margarita pitcher Grandma Jean gave us.  2011 was in the new "bike"  bedroom.  And last but not least I conveniently stashed 2012 under the desk until the taxes were done.  I know there's a box with the years before that in that same "margarita pitcher" closet, but I'm certain there are monstrous spiders back there, just daring me to pull that box out.  So that one will wait until the weekend - when The Dad is home.

I know I'm going to appreciate this so much  more when the nails I found in my nightstand are nestled away nicely with the nails I found in the desk downstairs and the nails in my scarf drawer... outside... where the nails should be.  If you walked in my house yesterday (even now), you'd likely think you stepped into a very real "Hoarders" scene.  I've taken two loads to Goodwill and have sold countless items on Craigslist.  Things that don't sell will also go to Goodwill, but I figured some of them are worth the shot.  But because of them, the office that took me two days to gut last week - is a mess again.  Oye.

I have a garbage bag at the bottom of the stairs, one in the hallway between Blue Eyes room and the bathroom, one in the "bike" room, two in the office - along with a bag next to THOSE, for all of the crap to go to Goodwill.  

Oh - and The Dad?  Well that day he was so happy I asked him sweetly to freakin get the garage in order?  He took 600 POUNDS to the dump that weekend.  

So one of three big storage closets in the basement - check.
Three bathrooms - check.
Master Bedroom - check.
Downstairs TV Room - check.

Three more rooms, 5 more closets and my house will  be perfect.  Perfectly ready for all three college boys to move their shit back in for the summer.

But still... better than what it is.  <knock on wood>

Back at it!


No comments:

Post a Comment